Friday, January 2, 2009

Twinkletoes

So, on November 21, 2008 my buddy Jill and I met up and she (re)taught me to knit. She claims she did nothing, but she did. See, the last 2 times I tried to teach myself to knit don't count. My stitches were uneven, I could only knit and not purl. I just didn't *get* it. I had decided that I wasn't a knitter. Until I saw her knitting a Pilot Cap for her niece and I was so green with jealousy. She agreed to take me on as a student. After one session of her walking me through the difference between a knit and a purl and helping me remember how to cast on, I did it! I did it on the wrong size needles of course (oops. It was supposed to be US size 6 and I somehow got 6 mm which means US size 10) and the hat fit me, not my daughter. And it didn't shrink/felt when I washed it. So... I got a hat. I re-did it on the right size. Then I did a hat for my dad and father in-law. I now declare myself a knitter. An addicted knitter.
Today my husband took the kiddo out to help fix "MorMor"s computer. So, I finished a pair of slippers slipper for ME! Comfy Yarn in blackberry and the Twinkle Toes pattern. I even have the suede slipper bottoms for them. Do you know how hard it is to get a picture of your own foot? This is the best I could do.

The pattern wasn't tough, but I used 3/4 of a skein of yarn when the pattern said one skein should cover the pair. I think I was just a little loose in my knitting out of fear of the finished product not fitting! I need to order another skein to do the second slipper.
My daughter saw it as I finished and said she needs "reena slipperd" (ballerina slippers) too. Good thing I bought the yarn to make her a pair too.
For those that may want to take on this pattern and a new-ish knitter like me, here are videos I used to learn new (to me) knitting maneuvers used in this pattern-- Provisional cast-on, Lifted Increase, Wrap and Turn (she's a little goofy, but she made it click what was happening on this step), Cable cast-on

No comments:

Free  Stoffe-Fabrichound.com Giveaway